Welcome to the website of Martin Kaptein!
Martin Kaptein is a musician, tech enthusiast and polyglot from the Netherlands
Martin Kaptein is a very passionate musician, and pianist. Currently, Martin is studying classical music in the Netherlands and regularly gives concerts on demand and plays in ensembles.
Martin has a deep interest in different kinds of music and likes to compose music in his free time. At the ArtEz conservatory in Zwolle, Martin is a student of Frank van der Laar.
Contact Martin for information about his current repertoire and other requests. Also, feel free to take a look at Martins YouTube channel to hear Martin playing.
Last but not least, Martin has extensive experience of teaching piano playing to children as well as adults.
Furthermore, Martin is a huge technology enthusiast and a software programmer. Martin builds stuff in his free time, some of which can be found on his Github profile.
Martin is a huge enthusiast of the technologies that make the world of today possible, and likes to explore as much as possible.
Moreover, in his free time, Martin writes blog posts on a variety of different topics, which can be found on this site.
2007 until 2015 - Missionsgymnasium St. Antonius Bardel, Germany
In 2015, Martin Kaptein finished the general qualification for university entrance (=Abitur) in Germany (Gymnasium). Thus, he has an advanced school-leaving certificate with splendid marks.
2015 until present - ArtEz conservatory, Zwolle, The Netherlands
Currently, for the bachelor studies, Martin Kaptein is studying classical music for the subject of classical piano at the ArtEz conservatory in Zwolle, the Netherlands. Martin studies with Frank van der Laar. Of course, Martin already is in the possession of his propedeuse certificate.
Martin Kaptein speaks English, Dutch, German and Russian fluently. Furthermore, he is quite familiar with French (and has a DELF B2 certificate) and has a dream to (finally) learn Italian.
Martin Kaptein has a lot of experience in playing solo concerts, with wide varieties of repertoire. Also, Martin enjoys playing in ensembles very much. Furthermore, Martin participates frequently in competitions, masterclasses and festivals in different countries, for example:
- 2013 International Music Festival of the Isle of Rhodes, Greece (1st price)
- 2014 Martin Kaptein was finalist (prix promotion) in Flame Piano Competition in Paris, France
- 2014 International Music Academy in Cremona, Italy (2nd price )
- 2015 Martin Kaptein won the first price in the St. Cecilia International Pianocompetition in Porto, Portugal
- 2015 and 2016 International Piano Festival in Duzsniky, Poland
- 2016 first price Vught klassiek competition in the Netherlands
- 2017 first price Ulvenhart klassiek competition in the Netherlands
- 2017 first price International Music festival in Loutraki, Greece
- 2017 VriendenCultuurPrijs2017 KoBrapublieksprijs - price of the public (Tilburg, The Netherlands)
- 2019 First price ensemble competition at the ArtEz conservatory in Zwolle, with performance at (amongst others) the dutch radio station Radio 4
- 2019 Participation Zomerfestival and masterclasses with pianist Geoffrey Madge
Martin made an interesting connection between the world of music and the world of information technology, in his choice of his bachelor research topic: Can J.S. Bach be immitated using machine learning?
This research has been (very) successfully completed, and Martin is eager to share key parts of his research on this website (which he hopes to do very soon, by the way).
In general, it can be said very fairly, that Martin likes to dive deeper into toppics, and present them in the form of a written research; but also Martin feels very comfortable with extensive presentations in front of huge groups of people.
Martin has extensive experience of teaching about the beauty of playing, as well as the beauty of music in general to a wide variety of age groups. Martin works with kids starting from the age of 4 to adults.
Also, Martin has experience in giving group music lessons.
Read here more about the piano and music theory lessons that Martin Kaptein provides..
Martin is a big enthusiast of many technologies, and has reported on various topics extensively on his blog. These topics include smartphones, custom-roms, the state of technology in general as well as various tutorials.
Besides that, Martin Kaptein is familiar with:
- Python programming
- Creating, designing and supporting websites:
- Static Websites
- Dynamic Websites
- Websites with databases and login systems (Martin used to run his own social network based on humhub)
- PHP & MySQL
- GIT vcs, Travis CI, Netlify
- more UNIX and Linux stuff
- general computer troubleshooting and repair
- mobile operating system developement (see blog)
Furhermore, Martin Kaptein has a very profound interest for Artificial Intelligence and machine learning.
Martin likes to work together with people to get stuff done.
In his free time Martin Kaptein likes to spend time with his friends, do sports and stay healthy, likes to philosophise, reads a lot and likes to take pictures. For the latter, it is suggested to head to his Instagram @martinkaptein.
Contact Martin Kaptein here